Physical Groanings and Spiritual Lessons

So far, this pregnancy has been rougher on me than my first two. I constantly feel nauseous if I don't have food in my stomach; I have been having heart palpitations for the past 5 or 6 days (where my heart beats extra hard for a second and I get short of breath); plus I need to nap everyday or I feel MORE nauseous. All in all, the best word to describe it is an almost constant feeling of Blah! And yet, I am PREGNANT! I praise God that this Blah feeling means there is a little person growing inside me.
I must admit, since I had not felt this way with either Caden or Annabelle, at least not this much, I have had the struggles of my mind not trusting. I find myself questioning if there is something physically wrong with this baby or if maybe this baby will have a personality I might struggle with. When this happens, I very quickly give God glory for being stronger than any "what ifs" and for being bigger than my mind can even comprehend. Very quickly those thoughts are humbled to a state of "who then shall I fear?".
And in the midst of my discomfort, I had two beautiful things happen. I was a part of a weekend retreat for the ministry of YFC Teen Moms as one of the worship team members and I received a letter from a friend who is fighting a battle of a debilitating disease. Both events challenged and grew me. And they were beautiful because I saw and see God at work.
Often, when we are faced with someone else's struggles, we have the tendency to be thankful that we aren't facing those same things. I am no exception. I found myself thanking God for the health of me and my family; the ability I have to stay home with my kids and to hold them in my arms; for the MANY blessings I have been given that I don't deserve. And then, I found myself struggling with this: should I be thanking God for my blessings because I am confronted with the trials of another? I brought it to my loving husband and we chatted about it. And, in God's gracious wisdom, he reminded me that if I have conceit like the Pharisee, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get', then I am in the wrong. Instead, I thank God for His GREAT mercy, totally recognizing that it is not by anything that I have done that I do not share in the same struggles. And I pray fervently for those that are hurting. I pray for peace in trials; for comfort in storms; for joy in turmoil. I pray that they might recognize God's Glory and praise Him for His constant Love.
Suffering, regardless of quantity or quality, will occur. I am a Christian and thus it is imminent. It might be this pregnancy, or something else. I recognize
that

"it has been granted to [me] that for the sake of Christ [I] should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake
." -Philippians 1:29

And I hope that others will pray for me in that time and that they too will give thanks for the mercy God has shown them.
To God be the Glory!

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?The LORD is the stronghold of my life;of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1

5 comments:

I can relate to the need to eat constantly to feel better - i had that in both pregnancies and that is why I gained SO much weight. I am not trying to discourage you...just saying what happened to me. I trust you will feel better soon.

 

Thanks Renae!
And Rose, you didn't discourage me. I know I will likely gain a bit as I did with both Caden and Annabelle. I would take the weight over the pukey feeling ANY DAY!

 

Rhonda, thank you for sharing this.

 

I am so glad that I was a part of one of the beautiful things you have experienced! I feel blessed to have shared that weekend of growth with you! xo -j.

 

Post a Comment